To Our Valued Customers:
Laufer Group has been closely following the new Walnut exporting requirements to the European Union. Effective September 1st, 2019 Walnut lumber, logs, and other wood will require a Phytosanitary certificate. Previously Walnut was unrestricted for export to EU.
Certification can be completed in one of three ways:
1. Origin of Walnut is from a pest-free area. At the time of this notice, the pest-free areas are:
2. Heat Treatment
Wood has undergone heat treatment to achieve a minimum temperature of 56 degrees celsius for a minimum duration of 40 continuous minutes. A “HT” Mark should be put on any wrapping.
3. Wood has been square-edged and debarked.
- Certification is required due to Walnut Twig Beetle and Thousand Cankers Disease.
- Treatment method should be listed on Phytosanitary certificate
- Beginning in December 2020, the option to fumigate with Methyl Bromide will no longer be allowed for any commodity.
Your Laufer Forest Product experts are ready to assist you with any questions with this new regulation.
Our #1 priority as always is to help maintain our customers’ competitiveness, to keep your cargo flowing as quickly and as consistently as possible, and to continue to communicate effectively along the way. Our nimbleness, market awareness, and “Built Different” philosophy enable us to do this - as your partner.
Thank you very much for all your support.