Identifying And Capturing Security Data Elements for ISF Compliance
Charging On And Changing Regulations
Challenges Our Client Faced
The 2009 Importers Security Filing (ISF) trade security initiative imposed new cargo reporting requirements. Our client needed to gain control over its Customs entry data for its range of products to ensure its compliance.
It initially tackled the issue by gathering and tracking logistics information from its several service providers, but realized that it would need to simplify this process and consolidate its broker portfolio. Compounding this, an industry-wide issue in 2010 confronted our client with a lack of space and capacity in southern China's ports. Our client faced delivery delays to the U.S. and needed options.
While our client previously used four other brokers beside Laufer, it chose to work exclusively with us because we offered:
- A compliance team and Customs brokerage specialists with expert knowledge of the regulatory environment
- A successful, established relationship with the client and a thorough knowledge of its product line
- In-depth understanding of how to manage the ISF provisions
Laufer developed and implemented a Customs compliance solution to address the new ISF requirements. Our Contract Management Program and Choices ProgramSM provided the operational tools to proactively manage bookings with multiple carriers. Additionally, through our Contract Management Program, Laufer delivered minimum quantity commitment and volume reports, including a carrier invoicing audit for each bill of lading.
The Laufer Difference
Laufer enhanced our client's Customs compliance program to lower duty rates and landed costs by identifying favorable Customs rulings. Starting from its initial need for improved ISF control, our client further benefited from the flexibility of having a single source for purchase order and logistics milestone visibility. Our client achieved better:
- Compliance, by turning to Laufer for ISF and Customs clearance processing
- Control, by receiving anticipated delay alerts and alternate route/carrier recommendations
- Visibility, through access to the Laufer online management tool for historical data and booking confirmations across all shipments
- Flexibility, to be able to make resource decisions in minutes, rather than days
Additional Case Studies
- Flexibility Through Choices
- Take Full Control With Custom Online Tools
- Customize A Solution To Address Changing Regulations
- Innovative Solutions Help Improve Supply Chain Control
- Changing POVs On Purchase Order Visibility
- Improving Bottom Lines With Superior Service
- Lower Rates Aren't The Only Way To Reduce Exporting Costs